About the Program
Visionary thinking, curiosity and persistence are all qualities that unite Carl Benz as an outstanding inventor and Albert Einstein as a pioneering researcher. If you share these attributes and are seeking to challenge your abilities in critical and abstract thinking, then Smart Science is the ideal opportunity for you!
The research-oriented 3-month-project offers selected participants of the CBS College Program the opportunity to gain first-hand experience in exploring fundamental engineering-scientific research questions through a student assistant position. We will refer you to faculty members of the Mechanical Engineering Department at KIT, who will identify research topics with you. At the same time, you gather first impressions of academic career options at KIT. Smart Science is especially interesting for MEI students who would like to work on industrial research projects or wish to pursue a Master or doctoral degree.
CBS will accompany the projects for the full length of their duration via regular coaching sessions to ensure a successful completion of tasks. Project results are to be drafted in form of an Executive Summary (poster/experiment/talk/short-video) using an intelligent and comprehensible approach. In addition, they can be presented as part of a regular MEI lecture, thus allowing students the opportunity to gain their first experience in teaching. The research opportunities will prepare participants to develop smart scientific methodologies and problem-solving skills to succeed in academia and the workplace.
Take a look at the experience that Shreyas shares about his participation in a SmartScience@KIT project.
Facts about SmartScience@KIT
The Smart Science project is…
- looking for creative students in their 3rd to 5th semester who have an interest in research-oriented lecture contents
- funded by CBS via a student research position
- suitable for students in a solid academic standing
- run in parallel to the regular curriculum
- managed through regular updates from the institutes, students and CBS
- finally filmed and cut into a 3 to 4 minutes short-video and presented in a PPT format with a template provided by CBS
- accredited with a final certificate detailing the student´s extracurricular commitment
- open to selected participants of the CBS College Program (legal action excluded)
Benefits for our students
The participants will gain...
- personal development opportunities through a supervised program
- presentation skills
- experiences in learning by teaching and learning to teach
- research-oriented teaching in MEI
- long-term career opportunities for young research talents at KIT
- the opportunity to continue the research topic as Bachelor thesis
- problem-solving skills and the development of smart scientific methodologies
- engagement in creating new knowledge through research
- intercultural work experience in a boundary-crossing research environment
Mr. Nico Jäckel
Head of CBS OperationsWrite an email
How to apply for SmartScience@KIT
Please fill out the form below to apply to SmartScience@KIT and send your CV, Motivation Letter and Grade Sheet via email to: StudentOffice∂carlbenzschool.kit.edu in order to complete your application.
SmartFactory@Industry is a hands-on industry training, which, together with our industry partners like Daimler or Bosch aims to enhance the practical as well as theoretical knowledge of Carl Benz School students in the field of Industry 4.0.
Our hands-on industry program
Our exclusive SmartCoop@KIT training program is offered in cooperation with the institutes of the KIT’s Department of Mechanical Engineering, whose innovation-driven research interlinks joint projects with industry partners.More about SmartCoop@KIT
The CBS College Program is a core part of the student experience at Carl Benz School of Engineering. See how we can shape your student experience with our services included in our College Program.
Why the College Program is the right choice